What do I need to know about Laser Surgery?

HHD Home Forums Prescribed Treatments What do I need to know about Laser Surgery?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jules 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Itchy
    Participant

Hi, I am feeling  not as alone in the hhd world as I was before I read some of the last few posts!

Had hhd now for 6 years see the dermatologist every 4 weeks, also suffer weeping wounds and live in mepilex dressings nearly all the time. I wouldn’t be able to function on a daily basis without the protection of these dressings. I take meds everyday and been on most mentioned even cyclosporine ! Had a pre op for co2 laser treatment , I’m really hoping that in the long run its gonna give me even 1 day without hhd. I feel I’m the guinea pig for my children as its 50-50 whether they get it or not. I hate living with this  I have no quality of life. I’m a 33 year old female in the uk . Anyone who has had laser surgery for hhd is there anything I need to be aware of ?

Rip Van
    Participant

Sorry can’t help with your question but I see you’re in the UK. Are you able to get this laser treatment on the NHS?

Itchy
    Participant

Yes, I initially applied for funding to get laser surgery in Leeds but then my dermatologist explained that I’m getting it on the NHS. I’ve had a pre-op and awaiting a letter for a date to go in . Initially they are going to laser a small section to see how my skin reacts first.

Jules
    Keymaster

I have had laser surgery twice. The healing process was extremely painful after surgery. Both times it helped the exact area treated for about 5-7 years. I found, however, that the skin on the edge of the treated area broke out continually.

I would rather get a skin graft than another laser surgery ;)

ymmv (your mileage may vary)

Jules, President, HHD Society

Itchy
    Participant

Just had lasersurgery on two test areas to see how my body coped with it. I had these done under local anaesthetic and felt no pain at all afterwards! The other lesions that hadn’t been lasered hurt more . I m  hoping to see some results in 4 weeks and at that point shall decide whether get the rest done. Will keep posting my findings .

macensky
    Participant

Just a question… My dermatologist said that the laser proceedure will turn the areas to a scar. What is your experience with scarring afterword? I am convinced that a scar would be much easier to deal with than the pain and weeping of these breakouts.

Jules
    Keymaster

I did not scar, but had HHD breakouts along the edge of the lasered area. The surgery “lasted” for about 8 years and then the area began breaking out as before.

Jules

Jules, President, HHD Society
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.